East Africa Shippers Council (SCEA)
The East Africa Shippers Council (SCEA) is a business membership organisation. It represents the interests of its members – importers and exporters – in the Eastern Africa region. Its mandate is to:
- Advocate for its members;
- Educate its members on their rights and obligations in trade;
- Observe and interpret key government regulations/procedures; and to
- Act as an engagement platform.
The foundation of the SCEA was essential as shippers and other logistics providers in the Eastern Africa Region face capacity challenges and other inefficiencies in logistics, including
- High costs of moving goods;
- Long border turn-around times for vessels;
- Limited FDI due to disadvantages in trade competitiveness.
To illustrate these inefficiencies and challenges as well as to advocate for efficiency and cost effectiveness, the SCEA publishes the East Africa Logistics Performance Survey (download) on an annual basis. It covers cost, time and complexity of the East African logistics chain.